Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cambodia: Day 10 & 11

Sangria's
As i'm not really writing this in chronological order my days are getting a little foggy - i guess that happens when you're constantly on the move. The only think that is differentiating the days from the weekends is when  my boyfriend's at work and when he's out partying (which determines our skype times). So yesterday (Day 9) we arose early, as our hut has no doors or windows we were hanging with the elements, wind, rain, sand - we were like one happy family. The sunrise was directly in my line of view from where I slept so it greeted me as soon as it was up - meaning we woke up naturally early most mornings at the beach. It was great though, gave you so much more time to do more with your day! We began with a lovely yoga set that's been customized by my mother (as she's a yoga teacher) and is based on my numerology - what i need to work on, my karmic numbers etc etc. I love the physical side of yoga aswell as the spiritual so this kind of kicks you up the ass and allows you to get intouch with yourself too.

View from our hippy hut
After yoga we had our regular breakfast at the amazing (but expensive) guesthouse a few metres down the beach. It's funny that at night whenever we walk back we find ourselves walking briskly, humming the protection mantra and clinging whatever valuables we had to us. At dark when everything merges together into one colour and anything could pop out of anywhere, it's slightly haunting - yet in the blaring 10:00am sunlight, a simple strip of land with a few half-constructed houses lie along the beach - harmful as ever.
Some may call us cheap but I call us clever, we'd lounge on their gorgeous white sunbeds and use their soft towels, eating their fabulous food (and respectfully paying the price with a generous tip) until we were ready to slope back to our cheap but quaint beach hut nearby.

For dinner on the 9th and 10th nights we decided to stay at our place - though the service is incredibly slow, it was more of a family-run establishment, the food tasted fresh and home cooked - both nights we ordered the fresh fish Khmer curry with rice and a side of fried vegetables. We loved the food (that was the same price!) down the beach, but being able to crawl into bed after taking a few steps was so worth it.
Breakfast by the river
Yesterday at lunch i experiences a slight knock out. I ordered fish with rice and babaganoush to start (this was for mum and i to share i hope you realize). The babaganoush appeared like clockwork and then a fresh creamy tomato soup with a crispy baguette. It wasn't my order and I don't know how 'fish' became 'tomato soup' but I was pleasantly surprised and munched it up rather fast. We'd ordered a red wine, soda water and sprite to make sangria's. I tell you, after a joint, a bowl of hot soup, and a sangria in the sun, your eyes begin playing tricks on you. Mum was talking to me - about something spiritual and enlightened i'm sure, but my mind was stuck at the top of a tree somewhere - I admitted defeat and slunk off to have a nap on a shaded sunbed.
Spot the obvious munch

The tomato soup that seemed such a perfect idea at the time - sat in my stomach until about 3am when I couldn't take it anymore, thankfully I wasn't too disoriented to gather my thoughts so i neatly chundered outside our little hut, with the wind blowing and the rain coming down it felt rather dramatic I must say. The rest of that night wasn't the best, and the stale taste of tomato soup still resonates with me. "I chundered everywhah".. on my gap year, is a saying I can now confidently repeat with a laugh, from the youtube clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU)

Presently, i'm sitting on a bed in Boddhi Villa, a totally hippie hangout with fumes of weed and a menu packed with munchy food - we're in Kampot, about 2 hours from Sahanoukville, overlooking the Mekong river. We arrived at the beach with the sun and left with the rain. The weather is still ominous but the mood is mellow and my weak body was given a slight kickstart by our daily yoga routine. Today I've decided to give my digestive system a break and have a day of king coconut (that didn't last when we sat down for my dinner king coconut but the amazing munchy menu tempted me)

I'm excited to be here, trying to enjoy and embrace the feeling of being on holiday without worrying too much about our return, packing up my room, saying goodbye to everyone - the future does not exist yet.. that's just something I have to meditate on.


Recipe of the day: Tomato soup



No comments:

Post a Comment