Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Landing in Essaouira

N, K and I
I’m sitting at a local tea spot in the backstreets of Essaouira, watching the steam evaporate from my glass and taking a moment to reflect upon how I got here. It was with the click of a button that my plans officially changed and I decided to put my energy into the pop-up dream of living and teaching yoga in Morocco. It is funny, the unexpected interludes we experience in life… on one hand it surprises me how my daily routine has taken on such a different tone to what I’d imagined it would be a few months ago. But on the other hand, it doesn’t surprise me as I come to realise that the illusion lies in believing life is made up of a predictable set of events… that’s what really narrows ones potential.
I started off as a backpacker in this little town just over a month with my girls K and N – we had travelled all the way up and down the country and finally found respite by the seaside. We’d heard great things about Essaouira, the windy city that drew in many keen kite-surfers and surfers alike. The white and blue washed walls of the old medina look as though they were once vibrant colours, alive with the buzz of the 60’s. The atmosphere mimics many beach towns with its simplicity and calm; fisherman lay their morning catches out by the pier and vendors contentedly man their stalls, selling a range of colourful, flowy beach garms. But unlike anywhere else in the world, the Moroccan flare holds its own unique quality - desert men lead herds of camels draped in colourful material over sand dunes on the beach while young, good looking men gallop along beside them on stallions. 
The looks here are so varied, in the medina the older local men walk around in traditional, long cloaks with pointy hoods while most of the younger ones have that cool, surfer dude look with scruffy, bleach blonde hair and tanned skin. Many also carry a funny air of Jimi Hendrix, a celebrity name that still graces these streets since his brief visit years ago; the ‘castle’ in which he stayed located at the end of the beach is still talked about and visited regularly. The rumour that he impregnated half the city isn’t too hard to believe when you end up in conversations with a bunch of local guys with the same curly hair and flared trousers… it does make me grin. Unlike the rest of Morocco, Essaouira seems to have found a balance of traditional meets modern; the behaviour is far more relaxed and every other local asks you out for a drink despite it being forbidden by Islam. The call to prayer still sounds 5 times a day and the people are still proudly Muslim, their value system just seems to be more internalised.

During our time there we indulged in our respite, slowing down our rhythm and living a very mellow existence surfing by the beach, doing yoga on the terrace or sitting in another beautiful café. A week flew by, I was nearing the end of my summer savings and it was time to go home. But a new seed was planted, the manager of our hostel offered me free accommodation on the basis that I contribute in some way; the idea of staying in Morocco seemed mad, I couldn’t be on holiday forever let alone afford to be. But we’d noticed there were no yoga teachers in Essaouira, so we figured I could put my skills to use and sustain myself financially by teaching yoga as there was a clear gap in the market… I let the idea consume me and within 12 hours I was hooked, the thought of setting up something in Morocco rode over the idea of a cold and expensive life in London. One hazy evening as we were all sat in the wifi hub at the bottom of the hostel, I booked my plane ticket back to Essaouira.

At this point in my travels I was (unsurprisingly) lacking a working phone, bank card and warm clothes, so for practical reasons I returned to London with the girls. We were just in time to catch the first few glorious days of autumn before my next adventure was to begin. After the beach vibes of small town Essaouira going back to London was like entering a 5 day whirlwind; running around a big, busy city with heavy bags, jumping onto last minute, expensive train journeys and re-connecting with friends and family in-between. As I neared the end of it all, I breathed out a long sigh of relief at having ticked off everything on my to do list with a half a day left to pack and wind down. I thought I had it all sorted out and then I get a Facebook message from W, the hostel owner in Essaouira - Obstacle #1.

“Where are you? I’m at the airport.” – The first bought of anxiety hit me and I tried so hard to deny the possibility that I'd made the mistake. But sure enough, I’d got the date of my flight wrong and indeed, missed it. What was once a cheap, budget ticket was now a long and expensive mistake. So with great resignation, I bought another ticket back... at least I had a bit of extra time to relax and sort out the last few bits on my to do list? Silver linings eh… 
It wasn't too long before the date of my return had come back around and the cloud of anxieties had blown over me. I opened my sleepy eyes on the plane just as we were touching back down on African soil and I could finally hear the whistling winds of Essaouira. Deep breath - I'd made it! Second time lucky…?


1 comment: